Muonio

Muonio 2014-10-27T20:11:58+00:00

Places of Interest in Muonio

PAKASAIVO
The Pakasaivo canyon lake is an ancient gathering and sacrificial place for the Lapps. This steep edged lake has been estimated to be up to 90 metres deep, but no accurate depth is known. Measured from the surface of the water, the sides rise to up to 40 metres in height. The water for the lake comes from an underground source called a saivo. The bottom and surface waters never mix, so the water on the bottom is almost oxygen-free and very high in sulphur. This means that anything that falls to the bottom of the lake will be preserved for hundreds of thousands of years. Resting places can be found from the shores of the lake.
Pakasaivo on Wikipedia (fin).

nahtavaa_keimioniemen_kalapirtit_200
KEIMIÖTUNTURI FELL AND FISHING HUTS

Climbing to the top of the Keimiötunturi Fell will literally make you breathless, but it is well worth the effort. The summit offers spectacular views over Lake Jerisjärvi and the northern landscapes. The fishing huts located in Keimiöniemi are privately owned, so you will not be able to visit them, but seeing the group of huts from the outside is in itself rewarding. The original huts dated back to the sixteenth century, but the oldest existing huts are from the eighteenth century. The fishing huts form one of Finland’s seven wonders, and therefore the site is a regionally significant cultural attraction.

nahtavaa_pallas_200
PALLASTUNTURI FELLS
A number of excursion routes lead to the nearby bare fell tops and the Pallas-Hetta hiking trail from Hotel Pallas and the Pallastunturi Visitor Centre. In the springtime, the fells provide excellent opportunities for cross-country skiing, paragliding, telemark skiing, to name just some. The Pallas-Ounastunturi National Park is Finland’s oldest national park, and also one of Finland’s largest: Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park.

nahtavaa_sarkitunturi_200
SÄRKITUNTURI FELL
Särkitunturi Fell is an easily accessible excursion area, on top of which is a lake, kota shelter and toilet. The view from the top of the fell looking over Pallas has been chosen as Finland’s national landscape. The Särkitunturi Fell is the best viewing site in the region. The trail is easy to traverse, so it is also suitable for families. It is also possible to access the summit along the snowmobile route or by skiing along a well maintained cross-country skiing trail.
ristiiset_6.6.09_013_200
ÄKÄSMYLLY MILL
Äkäsmylly Mill (1946) is located on the southern side of Lake Äkäsjärvi at the start of the Äkäsjoki River. In the summertime the mill has a cafeteria. There is also a shelter with campfire spot.

kotiseutu_museo_200
MUONIO ETHNOGRAPHIC MUSEUM
The Muonio Ethnographic Museum was founded in 1982 with the relocation of the main building from Kihlanki to its present site. The grounds include the drying barn and boathouse also relocated from Kihlanki. Despite the War causing the destruction of most of Muonio, the Ethnographic Museum received so many items as donations from current and former Muonio inhabitants, that the museum was able to open its doors in summer 1991. The Museum is open during the summertime Tue-Sat 12.00 – 17.00. The Museum has a guide.
Museo Muonion kotisivuilla.

ÄIJÄKOSKI RAPIDS
Äijäkoski is one of the most spectacular and fastest flowing rapid water sections of the Muonionjoki River. The shore embankment is a great viewing spot and is easily reached.
PYHÄJOKI NATURE TRAIL
The nature trail is located by the side of the road near Pallasjärvi Lake. The trail covers three kilometres and follows the Pyhäjoki River in very changing landscapes.
NORTHERN LIGHTS PLANETARIUM
The Planetarium is located in the Kiela holiday centre.

muonion_kirkki_200
MUONIO CHURCH
Designed by Architect Charles Bass, the church was constructed in 1817 as a so-called semi-cruciform church and managed to survive being burned down in the Lapland War. The altar painting “Jesus Among Folk” was painted by Anton Lindfors and depicts a rainbow in an undulating fell landscape setting. The southern wall of the church has the oldest altarpiece depicting the Crucifixion and painted by Fredrik Knopplock. The church also has a painting by the Muonio-born Selim Töyrä “Jesus Blessing Children” and the painting behind the pulpit was painted by Kyösti Jokelainen, who is also from Muonio. The monument in the church grounds “War Calls” was designed by Artist Viljo Aalto. The church is pen to the public in the summer.
Muonio Church on the website of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland. (fin)

ECUMENICAL CROSS
An ecumenical cross has been erected on the summit of Olos. The cross was blessed in the name of the apostle, John the Evangelist, by Oulu Diocese Bishop Samuel Salmi on 20 June 2007. As a place of repose, this site at the summit is open to everyone. The cross can be reached from the nature trail departing from the Hotel Olos grounds, or by following the old road.
ateljee_200
ATELIER OF THE ARTIST VELI KOLJONEN
The gallery displays the paintings of Veli Koljonen. The artist also provides guidance for visitors and may sometimes sing and play music for his guests. The atelier is open by arrangement.
Särkijärvi
99300 MUONIO
+358 (0)400 690 452

TAIVASKERO
Taivaskero is the highest peak of the Pallastunturi fell range, reaching a height of 807 metres. The Olympic Flame for the Summer Olympics, held in Finland in 1952, was lit on the summit of Taivaskero and taken by relay runners to Helsinki where it met the Olympic Flame from Athens.
ÄKÄSSAIVO
Äkässaivo is a canyon eroded by glacial rivers and a Sámi holy place.